[wplug] IBM Thinkpad APM/ACPI: what to do next?

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Wed Sep 8 12:27:03 EDT 2004

> On Friday 03 September 2004 01:01, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> > I am investigating a problem with a brand-new install of Debian Sarge
> > with a 2.6.8 kernel on my trusty IBM T23 laptop.  The problem is:
> > pressing fcn-F4 does not suspend the computer, the way it did when I
> > was running Redhat 9 with a 2.4.22 kernel.
>
> The specific model works flawlessly with APM, if you're willing to
> forego suspend-to-disk (which is flaky at best) for the much
> better-faster-easier suspend-to-RAM.
>
> So, just disable ACPI completely, install a kernel that supports APM,
> and apt-get install apmd.

Okay -- yes.  This seems like the right thing to do.

All my ACPI support is modularized -- is it possible to disable it without
recompiling the kernel?  Somebody told me I should be able to put
"acpi=off" into my bootloader (which is grub) but I couldn't seem to get
that to work anywhere.

APM is also a module, and apmd is installed (but when it starts, it says
"overridden by ACPI" and exits)

-Brandon