[wplug] IBM Thinkpad APM/ACPI: what to do next?

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.carnegiemellon.edu
Wed Sep 8 02:32:31 EDT 2004

On Friday 03 September 2004 01:01, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:
> I am investigating a problem with a brand-new install of Debian Sarge
> with a 2.6.8 kernel on my trusty IBM T23 laptop.  The problem is:
> pressing fcn-F4 does not suspend the computer, the way it did when I
> was running Redhat 9 with a 2.4.22 kernel.

The specific model works flawlessly with APM, if you're willing to
forego suspend-to-disk (which is flaky at best) for the much
better-faster-easier suspend-to-RAM.

So, just disable ACPI completely, install a kernel that supports APM,
and apt-get install apmd.

Fn+F3 (turn off LCD backlight)
Fn+F4 (sleep a.k.a. suspend to RAM)
Fn+Home/End (adjust LCD dimmer)