[wplug] Seeking advice (possibly OT)

steve leach stevenaleach at mac.com
Thu Oct 28 11:47:32 EDT 2004

> Not to play the Tim Allen 'more power' card, cliched though it may be,
> but are ibooks respectable when it comes to performance?  I'm not
> saying
> I need a machine that can compile X in <3 minutes while serving as a
> portable render farm, but I'd like to have some sort of decent engine
> under the hood.  A sort of 'that thing got a hemi?', if you will.

The PowerPC processor is a far better design than the legacy x86, in
addition to running most instructions in fewer clock cycle the huge
number of general purpose registers makes for far fewer memory
accesses.  My iBook G3 @ 700 mhz is more than sufficient for anything
that I need.

> Is ibook upgradability/support good?

Upgrading is the same as any other laptop.  Disks, ram, wireless card.
that's it.