[wplug] SLES 9.0 questions

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Tue Oct 26 23:21:11 EDT 2004

	Yes - the USE stuff is pretty handy once you figure out how to
set it up.  The first time I tried Gentoo the docs on this were abysmal.
The last time I tried it things had improved much.

>>  Yeah - I know, apt and yum work on RPM distros, but I've
>>broken more installs (of FC1 and 2) with those tools than I have with
>>RPM alone - and once they're broken backing out can be a PITA
>(something
>>RPM does quite well, right down to the config file level).  I
>would love
>>for RH or SuSE to grab onto those tools and make them a bit
>more stable
>>- but it's not possible to do so  without total control of the
>>repositories - that's why YAST and RHN are tied to them in the first
>>place.
>>
>Perhaps 'stable' was the wrong word to use here. Apt seems perfectly
>stable on Debian. The problem may lie elsewhere in the chain, say
>apt4rpm , for one possibility.
	My bad - it was meant to infer that apt/yum are a bit shaky on
RH/SuSE...  If your repository goes down in mid-update you are f-ed (and
I simply cannot believe how often this happens for whatever reason -
this is the sole reason I abandoned FC distros). There is also no pretty
way to back out once that happens..
Don