[wplug] SLES 9.0 questions

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 25 19:45:27 EDT 2004

Chris,

I think that a lot of the people out there are missing one of the major
points of enterprise linux distributions (and for that matter systems
like Windows Data Center Edition), they're supposed to be stable.  A lot
of this means that the packages are well tested to work together.  If
you're always installing the most up to date software, there is no
guarantee that the system will remain stable.  Most of the servers I
admin get security fixes only, this helps to keep them stable and up for
their purpose.

I'm also confused about why you would want to install firefox or gimp on
such a system.  With a system that size, it's probably intended to be a
server, in which case the fewer desktop apps you run on it the better.
You're better off trying to run desktop stuff on a dedicated desktop
system.

--Patrick