[wplug] ubuntu

Aroon Pahwa viperstyx at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 01:15:10 EDT 2004

ive been using Ubuntu for a few weeks now.  the latest release is
really nice, although it could still use some work.

i really like it for my laptop.  the install was very simple and
suprisingly enough it detected and installed almost all of my hardware
(ive been told my install went smoothly because i happen to own the
same laptop a lot of the developers do however [an IBM X40]).

most of the issues i have had with my Ubuntu expeirence (in fact...all
of them) have to do with other linux issues like driver support and
other issues dealing with the latest linux kernel (Ubuntu is bleeding
edge).  Theres nothing about Ubuntu itself that has bugged me yet.

as for the whole root user thing, i thought this was more of a Debian
thing, not just an Ubuntu issue?  If you're turned off by not having
being able to have a root shell open at all times, id reconsider.
when i first started using Ubuntu i didnt even know sudo existed so to
get my root user back i booted into single user mode linux and reset
the root password.  but after i learned about sudo and read people
arguments on why using sudo and not having a default root account is a
good idea, i learned to like sudo.  it really doesnt change how you do
things at all.

another thing i really liked about Ubuntu is the synaptic package
manager.  talk about making things easy.

if you're interested in Ubuntu, i strongly suggest you subscribe to
their user group mailing list, you can learn a lot without even using
Ubuntu.  And if you have a system you can spare for a bit, id
recommend trying Ubuntu, its really nice.  and the controversial human
theme has been removed in the latest release.

aroon pahwa
viperstyx at gmail.com