[wplug] stress analysis software

Michael E Uhl meu102 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 20:42:30 EDT 2004

I've looked for free FEA software before myself and not come up with a
whole lot.  One of the programs I've tried was Gmsh
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/gmsh/ ).  I can't attest to the speed or
accuracy of the solver, as I never succeeded in building a model, but
you may be able to make this work.

A quick search on freshmeat (www.freshmeat.net) reveals several other
finite element packages.  I don't think any of the free software options
are going to provide you with the power or sophistication of ANSYS or
Abaqus but then again, you're not going to pay tens of thousands of
dollars for the free software package.  I've never heard of StressCheck
before, but from their web site, it seems like a finite element tool for
designers, rather like DesignSpace
(http://www.ansys.com/ansys/designspace.htm) from ANSYS and I don't
think you're going to find something with that ease of use for free.

If you find a good free software FEA package that runs on linux, please
let me know.

-michael

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 22:19, Doug Green wrote:
> Hi all-
> Anyone know of a free/open source version of software that allows
> material stress analysis? I'm thinking of something like ESRD's
> StressCheck software.
> Thanks,
> Doug
>

> gpg --recv-keys --keyserver search.keyserver.net 6128880D

Michael Edward Uhl