[wplug] [OT] - Wireless network

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 09:13:17 EDT 2004

Sorry for the OT post but I was hoping that some one on the list has
the same problem that I am having.  Oh, and was able to find a good
solution.

My house is an older house, so there are only two phone jacks in it.
One upstairs in the master bedroom and one downstairs.  I have my DSL
modem, router/switch, and WAP setup in the bedroom.  This is fine, I
can use my Laptop to surf and what not.  Now here is the problem.  My
desktop is in my "office" which doesn't have access to a phone line or
network cable.  I want that room to have access to my network, but
putting a phone line in there to hook up the modem, router, and WAP
will not work.  The easy solution to this problem would be to buy a
Wireless NIC for my desktop, but I don't want to have to do that.  Two
reasons are I am build a second machine and I want to play with other
OSes on my current once the new one is done.  Some OSes such as
OpenBSD really don't have good Wireless support (if any).  I would
prefer to have a wired net in there.  So how do I tie them in?

Am I going to have to buy a WAP/Router/Switch combo, and not setup the
external interface?  I am not that familiar with wireless products so
forgive the ignorance.

Thanks,
Chris