[wplug] {window,desktop} {environment,manager}

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Thu Oct 21 23:47:22 EDT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Robert E. Coutch wrote:

> The answers are in the names themselves.

I think I see where my confusion came from.

> In older distributions of Linux, Gnome used the enlightenment window manager.
>
> Enlightenment is also a desktop environment that uses the enlightenment window
> manager.

In one place, I read "Enlightment is the only window manager (WM) that *I*
know of that can put different pictures on different desktops."

But I didn't understand what a window manager would have to do with the
desktop, if it was all its name implied.  Elsewhere I read that
"Enlightenment is a window manager.  Gnome is a desktop environment that
can run on Enlightenment."  Again, wouldn't the windows run 'on' (i.e.
at a higher level than) the desktop, and not vice-versa?  My metaphors are
getting confused.

[and, as an aside, X is just a way of drawing to the screen, so all of
these programs are X clients, right?]

In any case I figured there was feature-creep going on, especially in the
'free-market competition' (though in this case for creative talent instead
of money) between Gnome and KDE...  so maybe the names didn't necessarily
aptly describe the functions anymore.

And now I see that the name 'Enlightenment' includes both a WM and a DE.

> Gnome is a bit more feature filled than the enlightenment desktop.

I've always used gnome and I quite like its feel.  But what I want to do
(hint above) is place a different background image on each desktop, which,
apparently, only Enlightenment can do.

Any input?

> It probably would be more helpful to actually try out each of the various
> desktop environments offered by your Linux distro to see what I mean.

> On Windows, Control Panel opens in an Explorer window.
> On Gnome, the various "control panels" open in Nautilus.

Ah.

> As for customizing,  there is Sooooooo much you can do,
> I can even think about putting it into an email.

I'm looking forward to a bit of exploration.

-Brandon