[wplug] Linux newbie

Sino Kaya Sino.Kaya at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 14:38:21 EDT 2004

For my own survival in the field, I feel that I need to have some
experience using Linux.  I'm thinking of trying Linux for 2 purposes:
1. For regular Home Office PC use
2. For developing industrial-strength software
I'll probably need to do no.1 first.

I've been developing factory automation software for many years -- VMS
on Vax/Alpha, Windows, COTS, PLC, Fortran, C, C++, C# -- but have no
experience with Unix; some experience using Open Source tools -- GNU
GCC, Dev-C++, SharpDevelop.

I'm writing to this mailing list because:
1. There are overwhelming amount of information available from the
many web sites.  Perhaps, I could take some short cut by asking tips
from you guys/gals.
2. I live in the area and I am considering giving my own time and
effort perhaps in the future when I would be in a position of giving
any assistance.

I can pretty much learn new stuff with minimal hands-on help.  Just a
little lead on what to read, where.

Too bad I missed the last "Free Linux Basics Tutorial".  When's the next?

I appreciate any comments.

Thanks,
Sino Kaya