[wplug] Apache SSL

Arnaud Loos arnaud at arnaudloos.com
Thu Oct 21 08:59:38 EDT 2004

I'm attempting to install Apache-ssl on Debian 3.1 but I can't seem to
install a new certificate. I'm following the directions at
http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/SecureWebcamFeeds but after I
finish creating and installing a new self-signed certificate I get the
following error message when trying to connect locally or over the network
using firefox: Could not establish an encrypted connection because
certificate presented by xx.xx.xx.xx is invalid or corrupt. Error code
-8182.

Here's a listing of the commands I'm executing:

1. openssl req -new -x509 -keyout private/cakey.pem -out cacert.pem -days
7000
2. openssl req -new -config ./openssl.cnf -nodes -out ./apache-req.pem
-keyout ./apache-key.pem
3. openssl x509 -req -in apache-req.pem -out apache-cert.pem -signkey
apache-key.pem -CA cacert.pem -CAkey private/cakey.pem -CAcreateserial -days
365
4. cp apache-cert.pem /etc/apache-ssl/apache.pem AND cp apache-key.pem
/etc/apache-ssl/apache-key.pem
5. Modify httpd.conf to include SSLCertificateFile
/etc/apache-ssl/apache.pem and SSLCertificateKeyFile
/etc/apache-ssl/apache-key.pem
6. Restart Apache

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.