[wplug] RPM question - How to make it use a newer lib file than it's expecting

Christopher DeMarco cdemarco at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 14 20:53:30 EDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 01:44:05PM -0400, Robert E. Coutch wrote:

> Try what Beth Lynn mentioned.
>
> I've done this several times in the past for other programs.

That is the standard workaround BUT it's not  guaranteed to work.  The
reason that RPM  requires version w.x.y-z of  a dependency is  because
the package was compiled (and linked) against that particular version.
If there's any  change at all  between your version of the  dependency
and the  RPM-requested version (and there  must be,  otherwise why the
version number difference?)   then you run  the risk of having symbols
not available, or syntax  changes, or similar disconnects between what
your package expects and what the dependencies actually provide.

Welcome to  dependency hell, my friend.   It's  a prime  driver of the
switch to Debian, Gentoo and Slack...

--
% You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
Christopher DeMarco <cdemarco at fastmail.fm>