[wplug] Free Linux Basics Tutorial October 16, 2004

wmoran at potentialtech.com wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Oct 13 13:57:44 EDT 2004

Quoting Gary Morrow <gary.morrow at ansys.com>:
> I'm using xpdf on RedHat 9.  I looked in the file and
> noticed it's full of ^M's.

Hmmm ... It sounds like a mime-type thing.

PDFs are binary files, but some configurations will try to treat them as
text files (because sometimes they contain only text) and "fix" them by
adding or removing the ^Ms.

There used to be a number of FAQs on how to convince various browsers and
email clients not to change the file contents while downloading, but I
haven't seen this problem in a while.  Generally, it's a good idea to make
sure the web server IDs the file with the correct mime-type, so that the
browser or other program that's downloading it treats it correctly.