[wplug] New ErieLUG Site, Forum and IRC Channel!

wplug at bekit.net wplug at bekit.net
Tue Oct 12 13:44:01 EDT 2004

Hi everyone! I've been a bit silent the last few days. First of all
because my weekend was busy, and next because I have been working on a
surprise.

That's right, ErieLUG now has a brand new Website, Forum AND IRC
Channel!

IRC Channel:
A couple of you may have noticed me floating around freenode and #wplug
with the username Bekit, well I have also reserved and set up a new
channel on the freenode network at #erielug. I am going to try to keep
a user in it at all times, even if it is away - and I will try to spend
some real time in there as much as I can as well (though working
reduces that by quite a bit). If my user logs out for some reason,
ChanServ is set to stay in the channel at all times, so the room should
always be there and open to all.

Web Site:
I have purchased a new domain and set up a CMS on my web hosting server.
Information about ErieLUG can now be found at http://erielug.org (I
couldn't let wplug have all the fun! :)) There isn't much to the site
yet, but I will be posting info as it gets developed and decisions are
made. If you check the site, it has an RSS feed if you want to stay
informed without checking the site every day.

Forum:
This is my favorite part. I find it hard to have decent muti-way
discussions when using mailing lists. Things seem to get jumbled, and
it sometimes seems to just get burried in my inbox. To help alleviate
this, I have set up a forum at http://forums.erielug.org - stop on by,
create an ID and have some fun. At the moment it only has a few
categories, but that can be adjusted as needed. I'd also be willing to
set up a WPLUG specific section if there is a demand for it. I know
that not everyone agrees with the use of a forum. Let's call this a
trial and see how it goes, if there is a call to do away with it, I
will. Rest assured though, all announcements will be made to the
existing mailing list, the forum AND the web site, I just like having a
forum to promote easy threaded discussions.

Like I said, everything is still a little rough, but I will try to
smooth things out as time permits. Please let me know if you have any
sugestions (or complaints!) Enjoy the new toys :)

-Brint
http://bekit.net
http://erielug.org