[wplug] Samba PDC not saving profiles

Jeremey Wise Jeremey.Wise at agilysys.com
Fri Oct 8 12:33:08 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 09:14 -0400, John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in October Jeremey Wise assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
> | Thoughts:
> |
> | You did not state what OS was connecting to the SMB shares. Older
> | Versions of Windows require a Netlogon share.
>
> Indeed I should have specified this. I'm running windows 2000 server.
>
> | *****
> | [netlogon]
> |    comment = Network Logon Service
> |    path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
> |    guest ok = yes
> |    writable = no
> |    share modes = no
> | *****
>
> I created this, but I don't know what it will do.  From the documentation
> it seems I can specify a logon script, but I don't really need one.
>
> | The issue of the settings not being saved in likely a perms issue with
> | their profile directory. They have to be able to write temp files which
> | will then get updated to the "normal.doc" etc... master files for the MS
> | Office suite.
>
> Right now I have their profile directory set up to be in their home
> directory, which they have write access. Since I can login to the domain
> via windows 2000 server and the .windows_profile directory is created,
> wouldn't this imply that I have the correct permissions? After logging in
> and starting up powerpoint, i don't seem to be able to locate the
> normal.doc file in ~/.windows_profile.
>
> | ******
> | # Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
> | # the default is to use the user's home directory
> | [Profiles]
> |     path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
> |     browseable = no
> |     guest ok = yes
> | *****
>
> | I find some applications have a realy hard time with correct perms on
> | temp files and so have reverted to applying a file and directory
> | creation mask for the problematic shares.
>
> Do you mean something like this:
>
>   create mask     = 0600
>   directory mask  = 0700
>
> Can you elaborate on placing the profiles in the users' home directory
> versus creating a place to store profiles? Sorry, but I don't understand
> how one would be better than the other with respect to correctly storing
> permissions.

I have not personally used profiles and I would think this would not
effect a user saving profile definitions. Can you post you
whole /etc/samba/smb.conf file. I can fire up a VM and try it.

--
Thanks,

Jeremey Wise
jeremey.wise at agilysys.com

All opinions or information expressed here are personal in nature and do
not reflect the official position of Agilysys Inc.