[wplug] relevance of C for Apps

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Thu Oct 7 09:49:19 EDT 2004

(ack... forgive the reply threading bungle--I deleted the pertinent
message before replying.)

Someone asked if my practice is to code in Python and do the "heavy
lifting" in C.  Yes, that's my _preferred_ route.  It's often not
feasible in commercial programming for a number of reasons, but when
I'm doing something for myself, that's the way I go.

Commercially, it's usually C++ or Java (depending on needs and,
unfortunately, the local politics) for either application or
client/server, with whatever project automation I need to do in
Python.

For web programming?  I haven't had to do much of that commercially,
and when I have, it's usually been dictated by what's on the ground
already (want to see a bad web programming environment?  Try Sybase
PowerDynamo:  SQL-driven Javascript... :-P )

I have a small side project I'm working on, mostly to experiment with
recent web programming tools.  For that, I've picked Python as the
language, Quixote as the web framework, Medusa as the development
server (probably Apache with mod_python as the production server), and
SQLObject for persistence, backed by SQLite in development and either
MySQL or Postgres in production.  I tried Zope originally, but they
appear to be trying to compete with J2EE in terms of developer burden
and opacity.

Yes, I yearn for the days of a simple C application. :-)

--
Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws>
http://www.lesher.ws