[wplug] relevance of C for Apps

Tim Lesher tim at lesher.ws
Thu Oct 7 09:33:55 EDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 12:16:56AM -0400, wplug-bounces+tim=lesher.ws at wplug.org wrote:
> By the way, don't bother me with this bit about "structured
> programming", which was the selling point of COBOL, C++, and others
> of their ilk.  You can write gibberish in any language; you should
> see some of the COBOL code with which I was assaulted in days
> passed.

I think you're conflating "structured programming" with "object
oriented programming".  Structured programming is part of the basis of
C, and predated C++ by a decade and a half.  It simply means using
language-defined control structures like loops, subroutines, and data
structures, rather than rolling your own via GO TO statements.
Structured programming hit its heyday in the early 1970s, long before
C++.

--
Tim Lesher <tim at lesher.ws>
http://www.lesher.ws