[wplug] relevance of C for Apps

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Oct 6 11:51:07 EDT 2004

Sometime in October Chris Romano assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I don't want to start a flame war or anything and this is/can be a
| loaded question, but is C still a good language for developing Apps?
| I know for things like a kernel and very low level stuff, it is still
| the number 1 choice.  But what about apps in general?

I could be wrong but I believe gnome is written in C.

| biggest arguments that I hear for using C is that it's fast.  With
| machines becoming faster and faster and some of the security concerns
| around C, is C++ or Java a better choice. Is C that much faster then
| C++ and Java.

I'm not a programmer (IANAP), but I read a lot about programming. From what
i've read C# is supposed to take care a lot of the security programs
associated with C (like buffer overruns). I've also read that java
compensates for a lot of C's short comings also.

| the class.  I have used C and do use it when the need comes.  I also
| hear people talking about using a scripting language like PHP, Python
| for the front-end/GUI and C for any heavy processing.  Does anyone
| have any experiences or insight on this?  I guess in the end looking
| in the future does it seem better to use C or some other language for
| app development.

I think it's good to use things like Perl (I prefer it to PHP and know
almost nothing about Python) for prototyping concepts. I also think its
good to write the somewhat painful/tedious stuff which doesn't slow the
program down in a scripting language and use C to do the heavy lifting.
From my perspective, I do a lot of math. So I'll write something to do a
lot of linear programming using C and the cplex C callable libraries. Then
I can take that C program, wrap perl around it and let perl do the "donkey"
work (as my Indian friend likes to call it).

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E