[wplug] relevance of C for Apps

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 11:03:48 EDT 2004

I don't want to start a flame war or anything and this is/can be a
loaded question, but is C still a good language for developing Apps?
I know for things like a kernel and very low level stuff, it is still
the number 1 choice.  But what about apps in general?  One of the
biggest arguments that I hear for using C is that it's fast.  With
machines becoming faster and faster and some of the security concerns
around C, is C++ or Java a better choice. Is C that much faster then
C++ and Java.  I know that some Java apps can take some time to load
at first.  If it's already up and running, is it about the same as
C++.  I'm not familiar with C++ or Java, although I had a class in
C++.  The teacher was horrible and I really didn't get anything out of
the class.  I have used C and do use it when the need comes.  I also
hear people talking about using a scripting language like PHP, Python
for the front-end/GUI and C for any heavy processing.  Does anyone
have any experiences or insight on this?  I guess in the end looking
in the future does it seem better to use C or some other language for
app development.

Thanks,
Chris