[wplug] IMAP-secure and Postfix ?

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Wed Oct 6 10:44:03 EDT 2004

Generally speaking the MTA and the MUA (IMAP in this case) have little
to do with each other.  The MTA takes in mail from various sources and
if it is destined for delivery on that host it hands the mail over to
the LDA (local delivery agent).  The LDA spools the mail however it
likes, such as mbox, MailDir, or cyrus format.  The MUA must be able to
read the spool format, i.e. you can't spool with the cyrus LDA and read
it with the WU IMAP server which only reads mbox.  The LDA and MUA have
the ability to lock spool files to prevent overwriting each other.  So
essentially the only real trick here is to use the proper MUA for your
LDA.  Knowing what LDA you use or want to use is important.

O'Reilly has a book on IMAP which goes into Cyrus and WU IMAP, but
doesn't seem to cover Postfix.  However the MTA is mostly irrelevant,
except for getting it to properly communicate with the LDA.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer II
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086