[wplug] Windows clustering using VMWare and openMosix ..., (theory)

Ryan Kaulakis rmk216 at psu.edu
Sat Oct 2 13:59:46 EDT 2004

Hi Everyone,
It's possible to run OpenMosix under coLinux, which is a version of
linux that runs parallel with windows. It apparently works rather well,
according the the sources that I've been able to find on it.

OT: IIRC when running Matlab as a threaded process, Openmosix can
migrate away all the forks, so you wind up the load being spread evenly
over the cluster. I've tried it out before on my own cluster, out here
at Pennstate McKeesport, and it worked as stated (after I set the proper
options during startup).

For more info on OpenMosix, check out their homesite:
http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/
There is excellent community documentation, as well as the new
developer-docs regarding both performance and their new 2.6 port.

You can also check out their mailing-list archives here:
http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/mailing.html
You can ask questions directly of the developers and the rest of the
helpful oM community.

You can find out more about;
CoLinux: http://www.colinux.org/
coLinux plus Openmosix: http://www.minet.uni-jena.de/~gentryx/

Also, if you'd like another perspective on OpenMosix, and its uses, I
wrote a research paper on the subject a couple months ago:
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/m/rmk216/cid_v2.pdf

If you have any questions about OpenMosix, and you don't know where to
find the answers, please feel free to email me.

Have fun clustering,
Ryan Kaulakis