[wplug] Windows clustering using VMWare and openMosix ... (theory)

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sat Oct 2 10:52:23 EDT 2004

Sometime in October Chris Romano assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Say you had a 4 node cluster setup using openMosix.  Could you install
| VMWare with W2K as the guest OS and have a windows cluster?  I know
| that with openMosix, it will only migrate processes and can not split
| a process between multiple CPUs.  Would everything running under
| VMWare have it's own process?  Would VMWare hold that process to a
| single CPU and not let it be migrated to a different one?  If it would
| work, it would be a great way to have a nice cluster for people who
| are stuck with a MS product like SQL server.

I had a similar "bright" idea with matlab. We have a rack with a few
computers which we just use for running simulations and performing
optimizations in matlab. Since the computers have a few different cpu
speeds, I read about openmosix and thought "this will allow us to make
better use of our computers". So I setup openmosix on three of the
computers two slow ones and a fast one. Next I fired up matlab and ran
something which would take a day to run on the slow computer with mosix up
and running. Then using the openmosix utilities I wached and waited for the
program to move on over...

Needless to say, I watched for a while, went to google and searched for
openmosix and matlab. Then I came to the conclusion that I'd have to run
matlab as a single threaded process to even get it to work at all. I was a
little frustrated at this point, so I kind of gave up on openmosix for our
purposes.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E