[wplug] usb disks on fedora core 3 become read only.

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Nov 30 12:18:55 EST 2004

I'm using fedora core 3 as a desktop and I have an issue. After plugging in
the device the hal daemon creates a device (e.g. /dev/sdc1). Now I can
mount the device and write to it. After a while, if I try to write to the
disk, I will get an error saying the file system is read only. Then I can
remount it and it's writeable for a while then it becomes read only. Though
the mount command says it's read writable. I've found someone having a
similar problem here:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-March/msg03021.html

The delima here is that updating my neuros (mp3 player) takes a while.
After it's done most of the work reading the files available it cannot
write the database. My temporary hack is to run the following:

 watch -n 15 mount -o remount /media/usbdisk/

Which seems to make sure it's writable.

The logs have the following:

 kernel: FAT: Filesystem panic (dev sdc1)
 kernel:     fat_bmap_cluster: request beyond EOF (i_pos 37068626)
 kernel:     File system has been set read-only
 kernel: FAT: Filesystem panic (dev sdc1)
 kernel:     fat_bmap_cluster: request beyond EOF (i_pos 37068626)

Has anyone had similar problems? Can anyone make sense of the logs?

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E