[wplug] Slightly OT -- Nagios

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Nov 29 12:24:03 EST 2004

"Teodorski, Christopher" <Christopher.Teodorski at ddiworld.com> wrote:

> I've been looking at Nagios to handle system monitoring.  I've read some
> places where people say Nagios is a nightmare to configure and others who
> say it's not so difficult.
>
> I wonder if anyone in the group has had an experience with Nagios (I
> seem to remember someone saying they did when I asked about Sysmon
> awhile back).  Also, has anyone had an experience monitoring Windows
> hosts with Nagios?  Most of the production stuff I'd be looking to
> monitor is Windows.

I did some prelim stuff with Nagios, so I can't say anything about it
in detail, but I can comment on the complexity of it.

Nagios is VERY complex.  You're looking at an entire day just to get the
configs ready to go (in my estimation).

However, it's like that because it's VERY powerful.  You can monitor
anything.  It has a plug-in framework so you can write your own
monitoring commands and have them plug in to Nagios.  You can do
everything from basic ping and tcp connect monitoring, to having
Nagios clients running on the machines.  I don't think you'll hit
much that Nagios won't do for you ... even with Windows servers.

I don't know too much more, but I hope this was helpful.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies