[wplug] Sound Cards

Greg Akins gakins at insomnia-consulting.org
Sun Nov 28 09:31:44 EST 2004

I've been researching sound cards.

Last Christmas my wife bought me some Dolby 5.1 speakers;
and I'm finally getting around to buying a sound card to complement
them.

Hoping to avoid any problems with hardware compatibility I looked into
SoundBlaster; but I've seen some negative reviews of those (I'm mostly
interested in listening to music (game sound doesn't matter).

My wife found a good deal on a Chaintech? but it wasn't on Alsa-Projects
hardware support list.

I'm hoping folks on the list might help me clear some things up.

1.  Will a 7.1 card work OK with 4.1 speakers.
2.  Anybody use the Chaintech card with OSS, or Alsa?
3.  What's a good resource, besides alsa-project.org for soundcard info
	the Linux How-to seems pretty dated
4.  Can some folks recommend a card (inexpensive) to buy?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-greg