[wplug] Machine is locking up without a trace

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling at pitt.edu
Tue Nov 23 15:13:10 EST 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 02:33:01PM -0500, Ryan W. Frenz wrote:
> From: "Ryan W. Frenz" <rfrenz at gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:33:01 -0500
> To: General user list <wplug at wplug.org>
> Subject: Re: [wplug] Machine is locking up without a trace
>
> > Any chance it's related to
> > Power Management?  That age is a prime candidate for that period of time
> > when things weren't really stable from a HW / PM standpoint (like the
> > Intel GX chipset perhaps?)
>
> I had a similar problem on an IBM laptop of similar age...and it ended
> up being ACPI -- I just disabled it and didn't lock up again.  In my
> experience APM has been much more stable, at least w.r.t. IBMs.

Thanks already for all the usual excellent help, which will
take me a while to follow.

In the meantime, I looked in the logs for some ACPI stuff, but did find this
right before the second time this happened:

	atkbd.c: Spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0. Some program, like
	XFree86, might be trying access hardware directly

I googled 'atkbd ACK' and got a lot of kernel hacking things
I didn't really understand, like this:

I'd appreciate knowing if this is something to ignore.

Any idea if rebuilding with a new kernel might help, or
hurt?

SFK

--
Scott F. Kiesling

Assistant Professor
Department of Linguistics
University of Pittsburgh

2816 Cathedral of Learning     Phone: 1-412-624-5916
Pittsburgh, PA 15217 USA       Fax: 1-412-624-6130

kiesling at pitt.edu
http://www.pitt.edu/~kiesling/skpage.html
http://www.linguistics.pitt.edu