[wplug] Network printers

jo2y at midnightlinux.com jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Mon Nov 22 13:32:10 EST 2004

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Tom Rhodes wrote:

> My office is using DHCP for host configuration (yes, I know it's
> a security risk, but I'll fix that later).  Anyway, the printer
> likes to get an address but not register itself with ISC's dhclient
> for some absurd and non-obvious reason.  So I'll occasionally get
> a machine or two that conflicts.  My plan:

So the printer issues a DHCP request, the server offers an address, but
the printer doesn't respond saying that it's using it?

You could configure a static address in the dhcp server that's outside the
addresses in the range option.

host printer {
 	hardware address <mac address>;
 	fixed-address <static ip>;
}

> My problem is that the documentation for this printer SUCKS!  And
> I have NO clue how to configure the IP address.  I've done
> everything but pull the damn card out and hack at the firmware.

I've not had to do it, but I've heard of printers that could be
configured by sending them certain print jobs. It was either PCL or PS
commands that told the printer things it needed to know.

-james