[wplug] Network printers

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 22 13:05:22 EST 2004

Hello,

A little off topic but ...

I have a printer, Brother HL-3400CN with a built in NIC card.

My office is using DHCP for host configuration (yes, I know it's
a security risk, but I'll fix that later).  Anyway, the printer
likes to get an address but not register itself with ISC's dhclient
for some absurd and non-obvious reason.  So I'll occasionally get
a machine or two that conflicts.  My plan:

Set the printer to an address outside of the permitted IP range.

Only lease machines who's MAC addresses are known to me.

... more work as I see fit.

My problem is that the documentation for this printer SUCKS!  And
I have NO clue how to configure the IP address.  I've done
everything but pull the damn card out and hack at the firmware.

So, any suggestions?  Note: Fixing it with a hammer is out of
the question; I'd like to, don't get me wrong, but it would be
too costly for me to replace.

--
Tom Rhodes