[wplug] documenting network layout

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.cmu.edu
Mon Nov 22 02:17:22 EST 2004

On Saturday 20 November 2004 16:19, John Harrold wrote:
<snip>
> So I want to find some way to document the network layout: which
> services are running on which computer, the location of backups and
> which scripts control them, where software exported to the
> workstations is installed, etc. I started to type something up in
> LaTeX;
<snip>

John, I don't know of any standard way of doing this, but I'm in more or
less the same situation (I'll be leaving my organisation in a few
months and worried that the next guy will have a hard time to
second-guess my network architecture, just because I thought it was
"natural" to do it that way).

What I did immediately after realising this, was set up a tiki wiki
(http://tikiwiki.org) and start documenting everything, including
administrative examples, how to troubleshoot common problems etc. This
provides for documentation that's flexible and easy to edit. I've
included Dia diagrams and screenshots of the most important
configuration tasks (e.g. how the web interface of some network devices
looks under regular operation etc), as well as descriptions of what
scheduled scripts do.

This, I feel, is the most important bit: providing a documentation basis
that can be easily edited/used by both admins while they're there. You
have the luxury of having a trainee, so I guess it would be valuable to
have him/her contribute in this documentation project. After all, it's
what all admins should do to safeguard against the hit-by-a-bus
syndrome :-)

-A