[wplug] That was weird

Robert E. Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Sat Nov 20 13:45:28 EST 2004

Hi all,

Something strange happened here this morning.
I sat down at my PC and it was OFF !!!!!!

I didn't turn it off last night (actually, I was using it around 3am).

The power went out briefly this morning but I am connected to a UPS that will
provide well over an hour's backup. (Smart cable and apcupsd working and
tested)

My wife's computer is on a nearly dead UPS and her machine did not shut down
or reboot.

My logs show no indication of the UPS forcing a shut down. In fact, here is an
excerpt for my log:

Nov 20 05:59:00 rec-desktop /USR/SBIN/CRON[22282]: (root) CMD ( rm
-f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly)
Nov 20 06:15:09 rec-desktop smartd[2780]: Device: /dev/hda, SMART Usage
Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 83 to 84
Nov 20 06:43:55 rec-desktop -- MARK --
Nov 20 06:59:00 rec-desktop /USR/SBIN/CRON[28171]: (root) CMD ( rm
-f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly)
Nov 20 07:23:55 rec-desktop -- MARK --
Nov 20 07:43:55 rec-desktop -- MARK --
Nov 20 07:59:00 rec-desktop /USR/SBIN/CRON[1689]: (root) CMD ( rm
-f /var/spool/cron/lastrun/cron.hourly)
Nov 20 12:34:09 rec-desktop syslogd 1.4.1: restart.

You can see where I turned the machine back on at 12:34:09.

Weird, huh?

My only guesses are the UPS was doing a self test right when the power outtage
hit (but I would think it should still provide power), one of the kids turned
the PC off (they never go near this machine) or something else glitched.
I don't know what time the power outtage was this morning.

I see smartd showing a harddrive temperature of 84 degrees Centigrade.
That sounds really hot. Anyone know for sure?

Just wanted to share my confusion,

Rob