[wplug] IMAP revisited... to send mail?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sat Nov 20 08:52:43 EST 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:47:36 -0500
"Jonathan S. Billings" <billings at negate.org> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2004, at 8:34 AM, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > So stuff had to be added to SMTP to secure it.  SASL is a component of
> > SMTP AUTH.  SMTP AUTH allows a user to authenticate to the SMTP server
> > before using it, SASL is how the SMTP server determines whether or not
> > that authentication succeeds or not.
>
> I should note that SASL is also used by imap and other services to
> negotiate authentication, as well negotiating the security layer for
> the protocol.  So you might see it in your IMAP configuration as well
> as MTA.

Good point.

SASL is the underlying method of authentication.  SMTP AUTH is the way
that SMTP uses SASL to do its job.  IMAP and POP could use SASL as well.
In fact, I think you could (potentially) use SASL for all authentication
(even login) although I don't know of anyone ever doing so.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies