[wplug] ALSA, Audigy, and Audio CDs

Hagbard Celine hceline at fnordnet.net
Fri Nov 19 15:26:26 EST 2004

Hi peoples,

I recently set up ALSA on 2.4.26 for an Audigy sound card.  Now I can play
just about any sound file I have with *shiny new technology* :)

But...

I'd been using playcd (http://www.fnordnet.net/playcd) to hear audio CDs, and
I can't get a peep out of it now.  alsaplayer works, but (A) it's a GUI app
(I want something that will run from the command line, which is why I wrote
playcd in the first place), and (B) it starts hiccuping on some really long
tracks (I guess that the alsaplayer author didn't anticipate 45 minute tracks
:)

Putting two and two together, it *looks* as if the Audigy under ALSA isn't
paying attention to the signals coming over the little grey cable from the CD
drive.  Do I have to kick the sound card in the ass to get it to listen to the
drive, or is this a limitation of ALSA?  I surely can fix it either way, but
I'm interested in knowing if anyone knows *which* way, to give me something of
a head start...

Thanks many much to all, in advance,
Hagbard

Oh, and do I see correctly the the December GUM topic is DocBook?  If so, I
*definitely* need to actually show up for this one (if Saturday bus service
still exists)...