FW: [wplug] howdy

Philip Reiche Philip.Reiche at pl.netl.doe.gov
Tue Nov 16 10:46:16 EST 2004

I've used the adaptors with Viewsonic, Acer, HP, gateway, no-name off
brand, etc, monitors for something like 12 years, never had a problem.
Make sure the monitor will handle sun's default resolution which is
something like 1100 x 800 or so.

>>> don.vanco at agilysys.com 11/16/2004 10:29:10 AM >>>
Tom Rhodes <mailto:trhodes at FreeBSD.org> scribbled on Tuesday, November
16, 2004 9:11 AM:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:38:41 -0500
> "Vanco, Don" <don.vanco at agilysys.com> wrote:

I've

http://search.ebay.com/13W3_W0QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300QQsorecordsperpage

>> Z50QQsosortpropertyZ1 (impossibly retarded URL compliments of IBM
>> WebSphere)
>
> I think you may also need a special video card.  Tsung Labs (sp)
> at one point released a PCI video card (6000 or something) which
> could be plugged into a 13W13 adapter and then plugged into a
> Sun monitor.  FWIW, I ran a 17" Sun monitor this way with
> RedHat 5.2 back in the day.
>
> Now, some Sun monitors were made by Sony.  IIRC, these can be
> plugged right into the 13W13 adapter and then right into any
> video card.  But that is hear-say from one of the FreeBSD/NetBSD
> Sparc64 port maintainers; I haven't tried it personally but
> I have reason enough to believe he's right.

	The original question was on using a Sun box on/with a non-Sun
VGA monitor - this adapter is all you need.  It's really not overly
complex - Sun, like SGI, does not use a "standard" synch signal - they
send synch on green (I think) - these adapters have worked for 99% of
the Sun boxes I've used them on.  I used to have to pay a butt-load
for
them, now they are cheap and prevalent.  All that being said, I've yet
to see a vendor that will guarantee they work.

Don