[wplug] Init 3 text mode

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 15 17:02:12 EST 2004

> When I was at the installfest on Sat someone informed me that in Debian
> runlevels 2-5 all start in GUI mode. I'd like to make it so that runlevel 3
> is text based. When I look in /etc/rc3.d there is an S99gdm listing. Will
> deleting this accomplish my goal?

Better yet is renaming it to something starting with 'K', like 'K99gdm' or
'K01gdm'.
Getting rid of the 'S' file makes sure that it doesn't start up when you enter
runlevel 3.  Creating the 'K' file makes sure that if it's already running,
gdm is killed when you enter runlevel 3.

The number part of the name provides the order it will be killed in if there's
multiple 'K' links in the directory.