[wplug] Java question (SDK 1.4 and JRE 1.5)

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 13:21:17 EST 2004

disclamer:
I know very little as far as Java goes.  That includes the JREs and SDKs.

At work we have have a server running an old version of WebSphere and
I want to try out Tomcat as a replacement.  I have a Slack 10 install
that has the SDK 1.4 installled.  Tomcat's notes suggest using the 1.5
JRE because it come with the Eclipse compiler.  Should I just up grade
to SDK 1.5 or just download the 1.5 JRE and us that for Tomcat?  If I
just download the JRE for tomcat only, how do I setup tomcat to use
that only?   Tomcat's docs says that java has to be in your path.  I
can't have 2 "java" is there, right?

Thanks,
Chris Romano