[wplug] Looking for CUPS guidance

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Nov 15 12:22:29 EST 2004

Sometime in November Don Shepherd assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I am looking for pointers on CUPS.  I need to install a printer and I
| have no clue where to start.

To install a new printer in cups open up a web browser as root and goto

http://localhost:631/

click on 'printers', goto the bottom of the page and click on 'add
printer'. Then follow the menus.

| My employer has been kind enough to provide me with a Linux laptop,
| using RedHat Enterprise 3.0 WS.  CUPS is all set up for the office
| netowrk printers.  But, now I need a printer when I am working at  home.
|
| (Any suggestions on good printers to buy are appreciated.  I need simple
| printing, preferably with color.)

I don't know how much you are willing to spend. I'm sure you want to spend
as little as possible, so this might be a little out of your price range.
We have a phaser 8400 which is a dye sublimation printer that does full
duplex. It's really fast and has really good quality. We have the version
with a network card and it works fine with linux/cups.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi