[wplug] mail autoresponders (vacation messages)

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Nov 11 10:57:25 EST 2004

duncanhutty at comcast.net wrote:

> I would like to ask how wplug mail administrators allow their users to
> send autoresponse messages to incoming email while they are away,
> preferably allowing them an easy way to forward to another address as
> well.
>
> I am interested in all your approaches, but most particularly if they
> are suitable for use with postfix and for users who are less than
> tech-savvy.

Postfix understands and honors .forward files.  These would allow each
user to forward mail to another address, or call a program (such as
"vacation") on their mail.

(Personally, I prefer never to forward my mail, but to keep everything
on the IMAP server.  As a result, I can always access my email via
webmail and/or configure any mail client that's handy to access it.)

As far as the "tech-savvy" aspect is concerned, probably build a set
of php (or other) front-end scripts to manage the most common scenerios
for users.  This could be web-based, of course.  Have an enable/disable
vacation message script, and an enable/disable forwarding script.

There's probably something ready-built out there, but I'm not aware of
it.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies