[wplug] Software to record phone conversations?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Nov 10 08:45:38 EST 2004

Russ Schneider <russ at sugapablo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> > Be careful, though.  It's against the law to record a conversation in
> > Pennsylvania unless all participants consent to the recording.  I had
> > to research this because we're planning on recording conversations for
> > our business.
>
> Yeah, I believe this is a federal law.

I don't think so.  If memory serves, federal law dictates that 1 participant
of the conversation must consent (i.e., you can't record a converstation
that you're not part of - no evesdropping)

> No, I'll be conducting interviews
> with people who will most definitely know they're being recorded.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, but from my research, this will make recording
legal in every state in the US.

> I'll check out Astericks.

I also found software for Windows that does this.  The big caveat is
that you have to have a way to push the conversation into the computer
where the software can "hear" it.  Different softwares have different
techniques.

On a related note.  I got the legal information from a web site for
reporters that lists (state by state) the legal requirements for
recording an interview.  I would have just sent you link, but I can't
seem to find the site again this morning.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies