[wplug] ot netgear WGR614 stops working

Mike Procario lists at procario.org
Tue Nov 2 17:20:21 EST 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 12:05:36PM -0500, Darius Cardren wrote:
> I don't knwo exactly why but the "cable/dsl routers" all seem to do
> that, I work for a cable isp (armstrong) and this happens alot, though
> usually w/ a dynamic ip, i'd almost rout w/ somethign more relieble
> and have a wirelless point after that if i was looking for total
> stability.
>

> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 12:05:31 -0500, John Harrold <jmh17 at pitt.edu> wrote:
> > Sorry this is an off topic post, but I thought someone here might have some
> > information on this. We have a WGR614 wireless router and occasionally all
> > traffic through the router pretty much ceases. I can connect to it through
> > the web interface, but I cannot get outside. We have a static ip and the
> > only way to get the router to work correctly is to reboot (unplug and
> > pulgin the power coard). It's got the latest version of the firmware [1].
> > This is pretty frustrating, and I was wondering if anyone was having
> > similar issues and possibly a suggested fix.
> >
> > [1] http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=739

I had a lot trouble with a D-LINK 613+. I was resetting it a
couple of times a week until it finally died completely. I
replaced it with a Linksys WRT54G. I have had one unexplained loss
of wireless connection with it since I bought it in the spring. A
rest fixed the problems. Otherwise it has worked flawlessly. I
also have a netgear usb 802.11b adapter that has never worked
consistently, while my Linksys WUSB11 adapters have all just run
fine including on linux. It appears to me when it comes to
wireless not all equipment is created equal.

-
Mike Procario
"Another casualty of applied metaphysics" -Calvin and Hobbes