[wplug] rsync

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Fri May 21 10:04:07 EDT 2004

Sometime in May Jt Chiodi assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| experienced rsync gurus,
|
| I want to sync two directories on two different machines.  I only want the new
| and changed stuff to be transmitted from machine 1 to machine 2.  I looked at
| the rsync docs and ran a test command, but I must have done something wrong.
| it look like it was going to copy everything.
|
| Can someone send the proper switches to rsync to accomplish this?

rsync wont transfer all of the files unless you mess up the source and
destination commands ;).

i usually do something like:

rsync -av -e "ssh -2" user at machine2:/path/to/files/ user at machine2:/path/to/files

you need to be careful of the trailing '/''s note there is one on the
source and not the destination. i believe this alternative will do the same
thing:

rsync -av -e "ssh -2" user at machine2:/path/to/files/ user at machine2:/path/to/

i also like to do everything over ssh.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E