[wplug] Mystery CVS folder

Brian S. Woolstrum woolstrum at cmu.edu
Thu May 13 00:31:51 EDT 2004

Well, you can rarely be too paranoid when it comes to your
computer.  But, in this case I think you are ok.  To me it
looks like you've downloaded

http://www.gentoo.org/images/icons/icons.tar.bz2

and then untarred it inside of your home directory.  It is
a very sloppy tar file, since it doesn't create it's own
directory to live in.  It should also not have been created
with a CVS directory inside of it, and especially not with
another icons.tar.bz2 also inside of it (neither one of
which are your fault of course).  It is a good idea to
examine tar files before extracting their files, with
either "less icons.tar.bz2" or "tar -jtvvf icons.tar.bz2".
Being a .bz2 the j in the -jtvvf might be a y or i
depending on your system.

If after examining the structure of the tar, you find that
it doesn't create a nice tidy subdirectory you should
create one for it and then cd into that directory before
doing the extracting.