[wplug] initrd directory

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Mon May 10 14:29:25 EDT 2004

The man page for initrd (4) on a redhat system explains it pretty well.  Of course steps 1 through 6 help explain what 7 is all about.

         7. If the normal root file has directory /initrd, device /dev/ram0 is
         moved  from  /  to  /initrd.  Otherwise if directory /initrd does not
         exist device /dev/ram0 is unmounted.  (When moved from / to  /initrd,
         /dev/ram0 is not unmounted and therefore processes can remain running
         from /dev/ram0.  If directory /initrd does not exist  on  the  normal
         root file-system and any processes remain running from /dev/ram0 when
         /linuxrc exits, the behavior of the kernel is UNSPECIFIED.   See  the
         NOTES section for the current kernel behavior.)