[wplug] initrd directory

Wise, Jeremey jeremey.wise at agilysys.com
Mon May 10 14:05:25 EDT 2004

I was working on a small server that had ClarkConnect loaded. It seemed
to be RedHat based and I was trying to clean up a bunch of stuff that
the previos admin had left behind plus establish a mirror drive.

Long story short their was a directory /initrd off of root that was
empty and so I thought it was not needed. I had a SuSE box to compair
against and so I deleted it. ....Several hours later (thinking it was
hardware or other unrealted issues) I recreated the directory and it
booted. Once that was done I could then get back onto the internet and
did some googling. Found that it realy should be thier on RH systems.
Why? Why does their need to be an empty directory their for the initrd
to load and work? My SuSE box and RH based firewall don't even have
initird files as they are completely monolithic for all the major
drivers (mass storage drivers).

In need of edumakashon.

Thanks,