[wplug] OT For the old timers

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Wed May 5 14:33:12 EDT 2004

> Real programmers use Assembly.
>
> Maybe we need a more "modernized" version now that we've got all of
> these people who think that java is a real programming language and who
> have no clue what a register is.  Hell, "object oriented???" (I still
> haven't messed with any of that yet... Good old ANSI C is about as "high
> level" of a language as I ever want to see.).
>
> Remember this one?:  http://www2.sasquatch.com/~shad/hacker-t.html
>
> I miss being able to write useful code that came up to under 100 bytes
> assembled.

Since we're OT, I want to brag about my PIC project, which I'm coding all
in assembly (and PIC asm is *very* peculiar).  I wrote a hex-to-dec
converter that converts a 16-bit number to 5-digit-plus-sign packed BCD in
only ~120 cycles!  Without a / operation!  (it's only 76 instructions
long)

But, to be fair, any further discussion of my project should probably be
had off-list.

-Brandon