[wplug] OT: Windows Startup/Background Programs

Robert Supansic rsupansic at libcom.com
Sun May 2 21:46:14 EDT 2004

At Saturday's (excellent) presentations on Linux security, I mentioned
that several web sites provided annotated lists of  startup/background
programs on Windows machines.  Several people asked me for the links
because merely identifying these programs can be a real aggravation.

www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm

This site usefully categorizes these Windows programs as Necessary, At
Your Option, Useless, and Dangerous.  (This  is what prompted my
remark.  I asked if such a similar system existed for Linux software
packages which would  identify the absolutely required from the optional
when setting up a minimal system.  Some said such a list existed, but
could not recall the link.  If anyone does have it, it would be good to
post it here.)

www.pres-portal.co.uk   Click on: Startup Tips > List

This leads to a list at www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php.  They also
offer a down loadable file (short_list) that can be unzipped and read.
I could not get the browser file (startup_up.exe) to work.  They also
explain the at time occult art of getting rid of some these programs.
Reading it makes you realize that Linux's reputation for being geeky is
largely due to Windows users never  daring to look under their own hoods.

www.michaelhorowitz.com   Click on Defensive Computing.

This guy has collected an amazing amount of information about Windows,
Windows (lack of) security, and about Linux.  Highly recommended.

Since we are on the subject of  links, the link to an article shown at
the end of Bill Moran's presentation produced a 404 error.  Bill, could
you list it again?