[wplug] URPMI Support for RedHat

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Mar 29 12:56:41 EST 2004

Sometime in March Albert Whale assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I am running Mandrake, and now need to install a few packages on RedHat.
|
| While I can go to RPMFIND.NET and Get the packages myself, I am
| wondering if Redhat has installed an RPM Retrieval tools like urpmi for
| Mandrake?
|
| Any suggestions?

with fedora, you can just use up2date to access yum and apt repositories. i
followed the instructions in this page:
http://www.xades.com/proj/fedora_repos.html

specifically the section "Use these repositories with up2date/RHN"

i modified the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file as they said and i tried
running:

     up2date --nox -i mplayer

to install mplayer, then it said something like:

     Your Update Agent options specify that you want to use GPG.

     To install the key, run the following as root:

         rpm --import /usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-KEY

in /usr/share/rhn/, there were three flies with RPM-GPG-KEY prefixes so i
ran rpm --import on all three of them. then i reran the 'up2date' command
above and it downloaded the mplayer package and told me it didn't have a
gpg key and could not install it :). then i reran it with the --nosig
option:

     up2date --nox --nosig -i mplayer

and it downloaded a lot of crap and installed it. so it seems to work well with
the yum stuff. i don't really know what the fundamental difference is between
yum and apt.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E