[wplug] "roaming profiles" in linux..

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Mar 26 11:49:25 EST 2004

techmike wrote:
> Well, I got NFS working, and able to mount them okay..  Can even read
> fine, but I cannot seem to get write permissions set correctly for some
> reason..  I stumbled around and found I needed to create a directroy as a
> mount point..  Do I need a chmod of that directory before I mount the NFS
> share or anything?
>
> When trying to write I just get a "Permission Denied"

Do an ls -l to see what the permissions are.

WARNING!  As I said earlier, if you'r UID <-> username mappings are not
consistent between the client and the server you _will_ drive yourself
insane trying to fix this.

If you're not up for setting up NIS/LDAP/Kerberos, at least go through
the password files and make sure they match (warning!! this could change
the concept of who owns what on the machine you tweak ... be prepared
to use chown a LOT)

(This is an example of how upfront planning saves a LOT of time.  If
you had set up NIS when you first set up the system, you wouldn't have
this concern.  I'm not criticizing, I'm just making sure a lesson gets
learned.)

So ... first sync up your user accounts, then take another look at
the permissions problem.  If you do these steps in opposite order, I
will not be responsible for the nervious breakdown that results!

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies