[wplug] "roaming profiles" in linux..

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Mar 25 08:56:36 EST 2004

techmike wrote:
> The furthest I've gotten in the past setting up NFS was all the linux
> boxes could browse the "server".  The NIS part is actually what I got
> stuck on.  I found a walkthrough back then for it which completely
> behooved me.
>
> I'm all for centralized user accounts, we have a lot of employees come and
> go.  As it is now, even adding and removing accounts from 2 or 3 machines
> can be chaotic.
>
> Think one of the other options would be easier to implement?

I haven't actually tried this yet ...

But it seems that Fedora looks for an LDAP server at install time, in an
attempt to automatically configure it if possible.  LDAP has come a long
way since the last time I messed with it, and setting up an LDAP server
isn't _that_ terribly hard (although I'm sure you'll find it challenging).
Once the server is set up and the clients configured to use it, there are
a number of GUI tools for managing the LDAP user database (I don't have
any links at the moment, but I'm sure a google search will turn up some)

OpenLDAP even has a fairly simple system for adding redundancy (by
setting up a second LDAP server and replicating the database) so it's
a pretty good solution, all said and done.

NIS, on the other hand, is a little more "rough".  The advantage is,
however, once you've got it set up, you use standard UNIX tools that
you're already familiar with for managing users.  NIS also has a system
for setting up backup NIS servers, in my experience it works pretty well.

I can't comment on Kerberos ...

In the long run, you're probably in good hands with LDAP, as it seems
people are moving away from NIS and toward LDAP, so support is probably
going to get better over time.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies