[wplug] "roaming profiles" in linux..

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Mar 25 08:36:05 EST 2004

Sometime in March techmike assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I know this has been posted before, but I know a bit more about linux then
| I did last time I attempted this project.
|
| I'm sure there are good walkthroughs for this out there, so feel free to
| point me in the right direction.
|
| We have about 12 computers on our lan running Redhat 8/9 (mostly 9).  Not
| all users use the same desk.  How could we setup a "roaming profile" type
| system where all user accounts and home folders are stored on a central
| system.

we do this with nfs and nis and it works, "out of the box" so to speak,
with redhat 7,8 and 9.

| Last time I attempted this I was looking into setting up NFS on the
| "server", but failed misreably.

we can probably help you out with the problems you are having with nfs if
you post some more info on what you have done, what you are expirencing,
what you see in /var/log/messages on the server and the client, etc.

| Any guidence is greatly appreceated.

these might be useful:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/index.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/index.html

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E