[wplug] samba back over network

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Mar 24 09:52:43 EST 2004

John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in March Bill Moran assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
> | As an aside, I've also used rsync for multi-server backup ... I think it
> | makes
> | a nicer (and less-bandwidth-intensive) solution than Amanda.
>
> i thought about this also, but since the poster was explicitly asking about
> tapes, i didn't think it would apply. can you use rsync with tapes?

Not that I know of, but I've used rsync in concert with dump or tar to get
files off multiple servers onto a dedicated backup system that makes an
archive on tape.

Again, don't know if this is helpful or not, but I thought I'd put it out
for people to investigate and make their own decisions on.  It's surely not
the best approach in all cases.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies